First impressions matter more than you think. Most people form an opinion of you in the first few seconds after you meet, and the impression you leave can greatly influence whether or not you get the job.
Here are a few tips to help you make a great first impression.
- Arrive to the interview at least a few minutes before the scheduled time.
- Dress smartly and appropriately. If you’re not sure what you should wear, check with your Konekt Employment Advisor. We may even be able to provide you with assistance in purchasing new interview clothes.
- Introduce yourself to reception or ask for the contact person provided by your Konekt Employment Advisor.
- Remember that your first impression starts straight away. Even if you’re waiting for the interviewer to come and get you, you can still be leaving an impression with the receptionist who can share his/her thoughts with the interviewer. Don’t talk on your mobile, doze off or act unprofessionally, even if you think the interview has not yet started.
- Make sure you smile. Smiling can make you appear more friendly, positive and likeable.
- Be positive and enthusiastic, and shake hands firmly with each person you meet. A strong handshake leaves the impression of confidence, especially if you maintain eye contact at the same time.
- Make sure your mobile phone is switched off. Definitely do not answer it during an interview.
- Research the business before the interview. If you can show you know a few things about the business, it will demonstrate your enthusiasm for the job.
- Make sure you ask a few really good questions. Prepare one or two questions that you want to know about the job or company. Your Konekt Employment Advisor can help prepare some questions.