First impressions count, so it’s important you make a great first impression. One way to make a great first impression is to dress neatly and professionally for your job interview, regardless of the work environment.
The way you dress will be different depending on the type of job you are applying for. Dress according to the job and the industry.
Your choice of what to wear to the interview should match or be slightly dressier than the normal work wear of the company. If you’re not sure what to wear, it’s fine to check with the person scheduling the interview, or with your Konekt Employment Advisor. It’s still important to dress neatly and professionally.
Here are some tips on what you should wear to your interview:
- Make sure your clothes are neatly ironed and pressed.
- Make sure your clothing fits properly.
- Wear no or limited jewellery.
- Dress according to the season.Don’t wear a sweater in the middle of the summer.
- Don’t wear too much perfume or aftershave. It can be safer to wear none.
- Have a nice, clean haircut that makes you look well groomed.
- Have clean, neatly trimmed or manicured nails.
- For men, make sure you shave and keep facial hair to a minimum.
- For women, don’t wear anything that is too revealing.
- Avoid articles of clothing with bright, loud, or busy. It’s best to wear solid, neutral colours.
- For women, don’t overdo your makeup. Wear natural colours and avoid heavy eyeshadow, eyeliner and bright coloured lipstick.
- When wearing pants, make sure you wear a belt that matches the colour of your shoes.
- For men, if dressing for a professional business interview, wear a suit with a long sleeve business shirt. If wearing a tie, choose one with neutral colours that match your suit. Wear dark socks with conservative shoes.
- For women, if dressing for a professional business interview, wear a suit with coordinated blouse. Your suit skirt should be long enough so you can sit down comfortably. Wear conservative shoes.
- Get your clothes ready the night before, so you don’t have to spend time getting them ready on the day of the interview.
- Make sure your shoes are clean and polished.
- Remove most, if not all of your visible piercings (earrings only, is a good rule).
- Cover up any tattoos.
- Don’t chew gum.
- Make sure your mobile phone is either turned off or switched to silent.